Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Stephen Hunt signs new Reading contract


Ireland international Stephen Hunt has promised to do everything in his power to fire Reading back into the Premier League after agreeing a new contract.

The Portlaoise midfielder was strongly linked with a £5 million move to Wigan and Spurs in the January transfer window.

But Royals received no official bids a before Monday’s deadline and Hunt is now on the verge of penning a bumper new deal.

The 27-year-old winger was already under contract until 2011 and his new one will keep him tied to the club for a further year on improved terms.

The Ireland star revealed: “I had a clear head about three or four days before the QPR game. I knew what was going on so there wasn’t a problem.

“Even if people had come in for me on deadline from clubs I’ve been linked with, especially one club, I wouldn’t have gone there.

“I’m happy where I am and I’m looking forward to the rest of the season and hopefully we can kick on and get points on the board.

“We want to be in the Premier League and my big aim is to get in a lot of crosses and score lots of goals. That’s my target and I’m determined to have a big impact on the rest of the season.

“The speculation wasn’t really playing on my mind, But I think the best is still to come from me and hopefully the fans will see that over the next few months.”


Hunt is expected to put pen to paper any day now and Royals director of football Nick Hammond stated: “There are a few things to tie up but it should be a formality.

“There has been a lot of speculation about Stephen but we have worked hard to find a solution to keep him here.

“The most important thing for us in January was keeping the squad together and we have done that.

“People are aware about the £5 million clause in his contract but we never had an offer that met that figure. And I must say Stephen’s commitment throughout this time has been outstanding.”

No comments:

Post a Comment