Saturday, February 28, 2009

McCarthy not prepared to be left on the sidelines


Hot property James McCarthy is ready to snub a mega move this summer - after insisting he won't leave Hamilton to sit on the sidelines of a bigger club.

The 18-year-old Irish u21 midfielder admits money talks and Accies could look to cash in if one of his many admirers were to lodge a lucrative bid But the level-headed star insists he will only move on if he is guaranteed a top-flight game every week - and he knows that won't happen. As prepared for today' visit of SPL leaders Rangers, McCarthy, left, said: "I'm really happy where I am. I'll just have to wait and see what happens in the summer.

"I know that if someone comes in and the club accept an offer then you need to sit down and talk with the club and those around you who give you decent advice.

"But I'm happy to be playing week in week out in the SPL.

"I wouldn't be pleased just sitting in the stands or playing in the reserves. That's not going to do my career any good.

"I'm happy to get as many games as I can at the top, keep improving and see what happens from there.

I'm very content at the moment."


To enhance that point, McCarthy is desperate for Billy Reid to remain his manager next season.

The Ireland Under-21 international reckons the Accies boss will also be a wanted man when the campaign ends because of the success he has enjoyed in his debut season in the SPL.

McCarthy said: "I definitely don't want the gaffer to go anywhere because he gave me my chance and has been so influential in my development.

"There is so much still to do and I really want to continue working with him.

"I hope the manager stays. It's only natural that a successful boss will have clubs looking at him but this is a great club."

Accies are just a point off the top six and 10 ahead of bottom club Inverness. Having been promoted to the top flight only last summer, it is no surprise McCarthy is looking over his shoulder rather than up at the stars.


He said: "We are on a good wee run but are not going to get too carried away.

"We'll keep our feet on the ground and make sure our priority is to stay in this league.

"We're not thinking about the top six and we let other people do all the talking.

"Our target this season is just to stay in the SPL."

No comments:

Post a Comment