Thursday, February 26, 2009

Gibson hoping for Carling Cup final appearance


Ireland midfielder Darron Gibson can't wait to get his first taste of playing at Wembley, when Manchester United face Spurs in the Carling Cup final, this Sunday.

The gifted 21-year-old whose place in the starting line-up for this weekend looks assured, after manager Sir Alex Ferguson admitted that he had earned his place following a man of the match display in the recent FA Cup win over Derby County.

"Darron Gibson did really well on Sunday," said Ferguson following the match at Pride Park.

"He has got into the Carling Cup final team with that performance. He has played in every round, so he deserves it."

Nevertheless the modest Gibson, talking prior to Tuesday’s Champions League encounter with Inter Milan were he was on the bench, is just taking everything in his stride.

"Obviously I and everyone at the club is concentrating on the Inter game, but I know later in the week everyone will be buzzing for the cup," he said.

"Personally if I get the chance to play at Wembley then it will be unbelievable, but even though the manager said something after the Derby match about me starting in the cup final, he hasn't said anything to me."

"I can't wait until Sunday now, I'm really looking forward to it" said Darron. "If I start the game it will be the highlight of my career, make no mistake about that, but it will all count for nothing if we don't win the trophy.

"I've never been to Wembley, but I don't think I will be intimidated. I've played at Croke Park with the Republic of Ireland and at Old Trafford with United and both hold just as many supporters as Wembley does".

"I've had a good run in the Carling Cup this season, having played in every game and I'm really looking forward to playing in the final. It will be my first big final so it will be great to be part of it.

"But, to be honest, I would understand if I didn't start and the 'gaffer' chose to go with a stronger team, but I would also be extremely disappointed if I didn't play a part in the game."



Manager Alex Ferguson has talked about the Competition for places in the centre of Uniteds midfield

"The young ones who have played in the League Cup will play in it," said Ferguson. "I'm not changing my mind on that one.

"The middle of midfield is my biggest problem. I've got more options there than anywhere else.

"I've got Anderson, Darren Fletcher, Michael Carrick and young Darron Gibson who is coming on in leaps and bounds. It gives me headaches, but more options."


The young midfielder's mother and father John and Liz are making the trip from Derry to Wembley.

In fact it seems over a dozen family and friends are all going to cheer on their boy.

"I have heard quite a few people are making the trip over from the city, so hopefully I can give them something to cheer about."

Having really started to break into the current European and World Club Champions side this season, the Hazelbank lad has played in a number of positions, but a place in centre midfield looks to be his spot on Sunday.

"Obviously you don't mind playing in whatever position the manager tells you as long as you are playing, but I played well enough in the Derby game because I won the man of the match award, so I think if I do start on Sunday then I'll be in there."

Gibby, like every player on the Old Trafford books states that the manager gives him and all the squad the belief that they are good enough to play for the biggest club in the world.

"The manager has won everything in the game so if he has faith in you, which he has shown not just to me but a lot of the other younger players in the Carling Cup then that can only help you," concluded the Derry man.

No comments:

Post a Comment