Monday, February 23, 2009

Fahey stunnned by Birmingham welcome


Irish midfielder Keith Fahey admits that he is stunned with how quickly Birmingham City fans have turned him into a St Andrew’s star.

Despite having only played a handful of games for his new club, Fahey already seems to be held in high regard by Birmingham supporters. Little over two months ago, the Dubliner was unknown to even the most ardent of Blues fans, yet internet groups in his honour have already sprouted up - including one that takes a swipe at local rivals Villa called: ‘Keith Fahey is better than Gareth Barry’.

His first goal in English football, described as ‘Messi-like’ by Blues boss Alex McLeish and ‘a fluke’ by Fahey himself, last weekend further heightened his reputation in the blue half of Birmingham. And having spent several seasons at St Pat’s Athletic and Drogheda United in the League of Ireland, the modest midfielder admits to being taken aback by the early attention.

“I am a bit surprised, I’ve done alright,” said 26-year-old Fahey. “In the games I’ve come on, I’ve made an impact, I’ve done OK in the games I’ve played and the fluke goal did me favours.

“The fans haven’t seen a lot of me, they’ve only seen me play in a few near-full games and a few substitute appearances so it’s nice. They’re probably just looking out for someone new".

No comments:

Post a Comment