Saturday, February 14, 2009

Andy Reid still hopes for Irish return


Andy Reid has pledged to fight his way back into the Ireland side, after admitting that watching Wednesday’s victory over Georgia was one of toughest moments of his career.

Reid was dropped from Giovanni Trapattoni’s Ireland squad last autumn, amid suggestions he had fallen out with the Italian manager over his role in the team.

He failed to win his place back ahead of this week’s World Cup qualifier with Georgia, and appears destined for a lengthy spell in the international wilderness.

But while Trapattoni appears to have closed the door on Reid’s international ambitions, the Sunderland midfielder insists he remains desperate to return to the ranks.

And having played his way back into the Black Cats team in recent weeks, the former Charlton and Tottenham playmaker is eyeing another international outing in the not-too-distant future.

“I watched the match on Wednesday and it was hard to watch,” said Reid, who has won 27 caps since making his debut against Canada in 2003.

“I would love to be involved.

“I’m always available to play for Ireland, any time they want me to play they know where I am. I would love to be involved. I’m always available.

“If they pick me, I will always do everything I can for the green shirt because I always give my all for Ireland whenever I pull it on. I have always been so proud to do that and nothing has changed.

“All I can do is keep going.

I’ve set up a few goals recently, and hopefully I’ll get the call.”

No comments:

Post a Comment