Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Long staying with the Royals despite Hammers interest


Ireland striker Shane Long has pledged his immediate future to Reading after another match winning performance by the in-form .

Long took his tally to six goals in his last five games with a brace in the 2-1 win over Burnley last weekend.

The Tipperary born Irish international assured Royals fans that he has no plans to leave during the January transfer window, despite strong rumours that West Ham boss Avram Grant is keen on bringing Long to Upton Park to help secure the Hammers Premiership position.

He told the Reading Evening Post: "There's always rumours going around and there were a lot in the summer as well.

"I'm enjoying my football here at Reading at the moment and I know this team is destined for big things and I want to be a part of that. I just have to concentrate on my own game and what will be will be.

"These things happen if you're scoring goals, but I'm just enjoying my football. I want to be part of a good Reading side right now."