Thursday, January 13, 2011

James McCarthy back in training after ligament damage


Ireland and Wigan midfield sensation James McCarthy has revealed that he has resumed training and expects to be back in action by the end of January.

The 20-year-old is recovering from serious ligament damage suffered in the Premier League clash with Bolton in October last year.

"I can't wait to get back," the midfielder admitted to the club's official website.
"My biggest problem has been trying to do too much too quickly, and the physios are always having to tell me to slow down!

"I'm hoping to be back for the Arsenal game towards the end of the month. I'm not 100 per cent sure, but that's definitely the target I've set for myself.

"I've started kicking the ball and hopefully this week I'll get more involved in the rest of the training."

With Di Santo and Moses also on the road to recovery for Wigan, McCarthy believes all three players can make a big impact in the second half of the season.

"The manager has been saying it'll be like having three new signings, and hopefully we can all make an impact.

"We're sitting in the relegation zone now, where we definitely don't want to be, and we need to try and kick the team on."