Thursday, January 20, 2011

Coleman delighted with new Everton contract


Ireland international Séamus Coleman is hoping to celebrate his new improved contract with a win against West Ham this weekend.

The young Donegal born midfielder says he is keen to keep impressing after signing a four-and-a-half year deal.

Coleman extended his stay on Merseyside until at least 2015; the latest in a series good news stories since he arrived from Sligo Rovers in January 2009.

But the 22-year-old Killybegs right winger has been sensational this season, and he believes the new contract is the reward for his hard work.

"I'm over the moon to sign the contract, my aim was to keep impressing after every contract and this new one proves that I've been doing well," Coleman told evertontv.

"I just want to keep going now. When I came over first it was a two-year contract and I treated it as a trial," he added.

"I got a new one whilst I was at Blackpool, and to get another one so quickly was a surprise because that's three in a short space of time."

Coleman has endeared himself to the Blues fans with his all-action displays since breaking into the first team.

And he says he will continue to put in the maximum amount of effort even when he's not at his marauding best on the Everton right flank.

"When I go out on the pitch I get my head down and I have a go," said Coleman.

"Even if it's not going well for me on the ball, I'll keep running around and giving it 100 per cent and the fans appreciate that."

Coleman scored against Saturday's opponents West Ham when the sides met at Upton Park in December.

Everton were far from their best that day in East London, and Coleman knows the Blues must perform well to record a second successive home win despite the Hammers being stuck at the base of the Premiership table.

"The Premier League this season is so tight and everyone is beating everyone apart from United at the top," continued Coleman.

"You can't take anything for granted and West Ham aren't going so well and they are going to be fighting for it but we need the points at Goodison."