Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Reading delighted with O'Dea loan deal


Reading manager Brendan Rodgers is delighted that Celtic and Ireland defender Darren O'Dea has joined on loan until January.

The 22-year-old has signed a new three-year deal with Celtic but has been sent out on loan to get first-team experience.

O'Dea turned down a number of clubs to join the Royals, who have shipped seven goals in just five Championship games.

"Darren is a very talented young player and I think he will do very well for us," Rodgers told the club's official website.

"I am delighted to bring in a player of his quality. I have known him since he was 14 and tracked his career since.

"He will be looking to get more games under his belt, but he also has good experience, including the Champions League. He's also been a captain at Celtic and that is a massive club."


O'Dea has captained the Ireland's Under-21 side on a number of occasions and Celtic manager Tony Mowbray told the youngster that he still has a future at Parkhead.

"He reassured me that it's just a case of getting experience now and coming back to play for Celtic," O'Dea said.

"I had a couple of clubs that I had to make a tough decision over but I felt that Reading was the right club to go to and somewhere I can improve as a player.

"I want to play as many games as I possibly can and do as well as I possibly can - and to win games."

No comments:

Post a Comment