Friday, January 30, 2009

Folan withdraws from Ireland squad


Hull City & Ireland striker Caleb Folan has withdrawn from the Ireland squad for next month's World Cup qualifier against Georgia.

The 26-year-old has only recently returned to action following knee surgery and has informed manager Geovanni Trapattoni that he does not yet feel ready to play at Croke Park on February 11.

Folan had a minor operation in early December and has featured only twice since as a substitute in FA Cup ties against Newcastle and Millwall this month. Folan said: "I won't be going over there, it's still a bit too soon."

He added: "I have spoken to the Irish manager about my situation at the minute and I am trying to work on my fitness, so it might not be the right time for me to go over there this time around.

"I've spoken to Trapattoni and he believes I'll still be very much in his plans.

"I'm just hoping I can get my fitness right and be ready for the coming Ireland games."

No comments:

Post a Comment