Friday, April 8, 2011

Coleman delighted with PFA young player nomination


Ireland international Seamus Coleman has been speaking about his delight at being shortlisted for the Premiership PFA Young Player of the Year award.

The Killybegs born player has flourished during the season for Everton and has become an integral part of David Moyes starting eleven.

His superb club form earned the former Sligo Rovers man promotion to the Ireland squad and he made his debut in the 3-0 victory over Wales at the Aviva Stadium in February.

The 22-year-old has been nominated alongside Gareth Bale, Jack Wilshere, Nani, Joe Hart, Samir Nasri and Javier Hernandez for the coveted end of season prize.

Speaking on the Everton website of his pride at being short-listed he said

"It is fantastic news, at the start of the season I would not have expected that and when you see the names on that shortlist, it is just a great achievement to be mentioned alongside them.

"At the start of the season I hoped things would go this well but if I am honest then I probably did not think they would.

"Sometimes I still have to pinch myself. Two years ago I was at Sligo and now and then I look around the changing room here and think ‘wow, this is really happening to me'.

"I certainly did not expect to play this many matches and also not as a right midfielder, but I have just tried to take it game by game and do my best."

He added: "There have been so many good young players this season it is hard to pick out individuals.

"Obviously Gareth Bale stands out and he will probably be in the running for the main award. Then there is Jack Wilshere who played against Barcelona and was one of the best players over the two legs. There are lots of contenders and too many to mention everyone.

"I am sure the other lads might think about winning it but for me just to be in the top seven is fantastic and an achievement in itself.

"Obviously the most important thing is the team doing well. But personal accolades are nice as well. They are what you want as it shows that you are doing well, but I would not be up for any award without the coaching staff here and my teammates.

"I think the first season you can maybe take people by surprise but to be consistent you have to do it every year and there are plenty of guys here I can learn from and I just want to keep getting better with Everton."