Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Coleman looking for more international action


Séamus Coleman admits tasting international football with Ireland has left him wanting more.

Coleman's friends and family from Killybegs and other parts of Donegal were inside the Aviva Stadium on Tuesday night to see him make his international debut against Wales in the first game of the Carling Nations Cup which ended in a comfortable 3-0 win for Ireland. After playing for almost an hour, Coleman is hoping Giovanni Trapattoni saw enough to keep faith in him for the crunch Euro 2012 qualifier against Macedonia next month in Dublin.

"Playing for your country is what every professional wants to do and I am no different," said the former Sligo Rovers player. "The more caps the merrier for me.
"He (Trapattoni) was delighted with the good convincing win and he congratulated me on my debut, which was all I wanted.

"To be honest I just wanted to play whether it be right back or right wing. I am used to right wing because of my time at Everton and I really enjoyed it. I am just going to go back to Everton and work hard there and hopefully the club form will be rewarded with more caps at international level.

"The game was similar to Premier League football," added Coleman. "We knew all about their players as well so that probably helped on my debut. There were a bit of nerves beforehand but I wasn't overly nervous. A small amount of nerves is always good to have so I was fine and I really enjoyed it. All my family and friends were down from Donegal so they went home happy."