Monday, August 9, 2010

Liam Lawrence to complete Celtic move


Stoke and Ireland midfielder Liam Lawrence expects to complete his move to Celtic when fellow Ireland international Aiden McGeady finally leaves the Parkhead club.

McGeady will pen a four-year deal with Spartak Moscow this week and hand boss Neil Lennon an extra £9.5million towards his transfer kitty as he tries to reshape his squad ahead of the start of the SPL season.

Lawrence has been a long-time target of the Hoops and reckons his transfer will be given the green light when McGeady jets out to Russia.

He said: “Well, that’s what I’ve been told. I want a new challenge and, if it comes about, I will be chomping at the bit to achieve things at Celtic because they need to push this year and win things again.

“I have had some little bits of banter with Aiden as well.

“I spoke to him the other day and fired him a text because I knew he was off to Russia. I’m not telling you what I said though.

“It’s a massive, massive move for him and it’s an important decision both football-wise and for him and his missus.”

The capture of the Irish international will represent the next piece of the jigsaw for Lennon as he continues his summer rebuilding work.

And Lawrence insists the Hoops are still an attractive prospect despite their Champions League exit at the hands of Braga last week.

“I’m not one of those players who say they want to move because a club is in the Champions League,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment