Monday, April 5, 2010

Lawrence may move to save Ireland career


Liam Lawrence says he wants more regular football to keep alive his Ireland career and this could mean his leaving Stoke is search of more regular starts for his club team.

He revealed that Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni has warned him that he must find regular first-team football.

The 28 year old midfielder, scored in Saturday’s 2-0 home win over Hull but is unhappy with how this season has gone.

Lawrence said: ‘I’ve not done as well as I’ve wanted. I’ve been in and out of the side, which hasn’t helped. I’ve spoken at length to the manager (Tony Pulis). We’ve had a couple of meetings.

‘We’ll just have to wait and see what happens. I just want to play football. Being in the Premier League at a good team like Stoke, it’s not guaranteed.

‘Trapattoni has spoken to me about it and I do need to be playing to keep involved with the squad.

'To play me in the massive games that he did for Ireland gave me massive confidence and he’s a fantastic manager.’

Lawrence admitted that his form has fortunes have gone downhill since Ireland’s World Cup play-off heartbreak.

He said: ‘When I’ve come back to Stoke, sometimes I’ve not played as well as I can do and maybe that’s why I’ve not played as regularly.

'After the France game, I came back and was in and out. It’ s just been one of those seasons and it’s been the worst since I’ve been at Stoke.

‘I don’t know if it’s because of the disappointment of losing to France. It’s down to me now. I’ve just got to keep my head down and try to stay in the team for the rest of the season.’

The former Sunderland player, who has been at Stoke since January 2007, explained his emotional celebration after scoring on Saturday by saying: ‘It was a massive relief. I’ve bided my time this season. I’m feeling stronger all the time.’

It was his first goal since he scored against the same opponents at the KC Stadium last May.

No comments:

Post a Comment