Monday, March 1, 2010

Wilson defends a players right to represent Ireland


Portsmouth and Ireland defender Marc Wilson has insisted players born in the North of Ireland should be allowed to decide whether they want to represent Ireland or the North at international level.

Wilson, named in the Ireland squad for Tuesday's friendly against Brazil, is from Aghagallon in County Antrim.

"I think you should have the choice," said Wilson. "I made it clear I wanted to play for the Republic”.

"It was always my dream to play for the Republic. I grew up supporting them."

"It should be down to the player to make that decision and that should be it."

Ireland take on Brazil, the favourites for this summer's World Cup at Arsenal's Emirates stadium on Tuesday night.

"It is tough competition in the Ireland squad but I am just happy to be here. Hopefully, I can progress further in the future.

"Words could not describe my feeling when I heard about the call-up,"
he added.

"Brazil are the best team in the world in my opinion. Their record speaks for itself. It is a great game to be involved in and anyone would be proud to be involved in it."

Tuesday's game at Arsenal's Emirates Stadium is the first of four for Ireland before they kick off their Euro 2012 qualifying campaign, for which they have been drawn against Russia, Slovakia, Macedonia, Armenia and Andorra.

No comments:

Post a Comment