Wednesday, March 10, 2010

McCarthy looks for Premiership survival


Ireland international James McCarthy is hoping Wigan can secure Premier League survival as quickly as possible.

The Latics edged four points clear of the drop zone on Monday with an impressive 1-0 victory over Liverpool.

Confidence is now soaring around the DW Stadium, with belief returned to a side that had begun to wobble at an important stage of the season.

Promising midfielder McCarthy played a starring role in the success over Rafa Benitez's Reds and the Ireland international midfielder is determined to do all he can to ensure he is still a top-flight performer next term.

"It would be some feat to stay up," the 19-year-old said.

"We want to do that as soon as possible so we can enjoy this even more.

Bonus
"The gaffer (Roberto Martinez) had us in on Tuesday and told us Bolton on Saturday was an even bigger game for us.

"Liverpool was a bonus but we are playing better and have belief that we can stay up, which would be the highlight of my career."

McCarthy joined the Latics from Hamilton last summer and, having been eased into the frame by Martinez, feels he has now fully adjusted to life in the Premier League.

He added: "I'm really enjoying myself now. It was frustrating at the start, but this is what I've worked for since I was a kid.

"I've felt my touch get better and also my reading of the game. I've still got miles to go but this has been a great experience for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment