Friday, December 5, 2008

Stephen Quinn hoping for Ireland call up


After receiving glowing references from his club manager, Sheffield United midfielder Stephen Quinn is confident that he can attract similar attention from Ireland manager, Giovanni Trapattoni.

Last month, Kevin Blackwell and United's academy director Ron Reid both praised the 22-year-old after his stunning strike in the 5-2 demolition of Charlton, and voiced concerns about Quinn's failure to receive a call up to the full Ireland squad since the beginning of Trapattoni's reign.

However Quinn, who is expected to make his 23rd start of the season in United colours when Burnley visit Bramall Lane tomorrow, believes that more competent displays like the five-star showing at The Valley will eventually thrust him firmly into the Italian's thinking.

"I played a lot for the (Ireland] under 21s last year, so I am looking to step up into the full squad," Quinn admitted.

"I just want to concentrate on playing for Sheffield United, who pay my wages, but I would love to play for Ireland - it would be a dream come true.

"I can play out there on the left or in the middle, I am not fussy and would give an arm and a leg to play any where the manager wants me."

Of course, appearing regularly on the stage of the Barclays Premier League would do Quinn's international prospects no harm – his last call-up to the full Ireland squad coming after goals against Aston Villa and Portsmouth during United's ill-fated top flight campaign two seasons ago.

Last week's draw against Ipswich – current employers of Quinn's brother Alan - at Portman Road saw United slip to 5th, but the Dubliner is confident of adding to his four-goal tally and outlined what he believes he brings to the team.

"With me not been the quickest, I like to link up with the strikers, whilst I always work hard and do my best," he continued.

"I am also keen to contribute a few more goals during the second half of the campaign.

"The body is feeling great at the moment and hopefully if I can keep playing regularly at club level then I may be included in the next squad."

No comments:

Post a Comment