Showing posts with label alex McLeish. Show all posts
Showing posts with label alex McLeish. Show all posts

Monday, July 18, 2011

Shay Given completes Villa move


Aston Villa have completed the signing Ireland goalkeeper Shay Given from Manchester City.

The 35-year-old has signed a five-year contract at Villa Park after the clubs agreed an undisclosed fee.

Given told the club's website: "Aston Villa is a huge club and I'm really excited to be joining. It's a new challenge and I'm eager to embrace it."

Given had been on the margins at Eastlands after City manager Roberto Mancini made England international Joe Hart his first choice.

The Irish international he will make his Villa debut in a friendly against Walsall on Thursday.

He is McLeish's first signing since taking over at Villa Park and the former Birmingham manager believes Given will have a major impact at the club.

"Shay has come here with something of a point to prove and that won't do him any harm at all," McLeish said.

"Everybody who has watched him perform over many years in the Premier League will know his pedigree so we believe we have secured the services of one of the best goalkeepers in the business."

Villa defender and Ireland team-mate Richard Dunne is delighted at the prospect of being reunited with Given and told the Birmingham Mail: "He was frustrated over the way things have gone over the last year, I think he just wants to get playing again and he'll be looking forward to it.

"I spoke to him on Friday when he got here and I think he was surprised about how good the facilities and the setup are here at Bodymoor.

"I think it's a good opportunity for Shay to get back to playing football and I think it's one he's really looking forward to."


Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Birmingham confirm Robbie Keane talks


Birmingham City are in talks with Ireland & Spurs striker Robbie Keane over a possible move to St Andrew's, the club have confirmed.

Blues boss Alex McLeish has made it clear signing a quality forward is his number one priority during the current transfer window.

Keane is the player City are most actively pursuing, although the club are adamant reports he has already undergone a medical are wide of the mark.

It is not clear whether any deal for the Dublin born Ireland international would be permanent or a short-term arrangement.

But sources close to Birmingham indicate a full-time move - in the region of £6million - could be a possibility.

Keane has slipped down the pecking order at White Hart Lane and is desperate to play regular first-team football. He has also recently been linked with a move to relegation-threatened West Ham.

Birmingham's lack of goal power has been the main reason why they have been locked in a survival battle during the first half of the season.

Midfielder Craig Gardner is the top scorer with just five goals and McLeish has become frustrated by his side's inability to convert their chances.

McLeish spent £6million in the summer on Serbia international Nikola Zigic but the former Valencia player is still coming to terms with the demands of the Premier League.

Cameron Jerome has failed to reproduce the form which brought him 11 Premier League goals last season while Kevin Phillips is now at the veteran age of 37.

Keane spent the second half of last season on loan at Glasgow Celtic
.