Monday, February 18, 2013

Marc Wilson keen to get back for Ireland

Ireland defender Marc Wilson is hoping his Stoke City return will give him a chance to join Ireland's battle for a World cup place in Brazil in 2014.
The 25-year-old County Armagh born defender expects to be available for Stoke's game at Fulham next Saturday after four months out with a broken leg.

He revealed that Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has kept in touch during his injury absence, so he is hoping to force his way back into the manager's plans as Ireland try to qualify for next summer's World Cup in Brazil.

Wilson, who has three senior caps, said: "I need to get myself playing for Stoke first and foremost before I can even consider being selected for Ireland.

"Giovanni Trapattoni has texted me a few times to ask how I am getting on and said he hasn't forgotten me.

"That was good to hear, so if I can get myself right here hopefully I can get myself back in the international team.

"Ireland have a difficult game coming up against Sweden. It's a crucial match because they are one point ahead of us in the group after they got that magnificent result against Germany.

"It's going to be a very important game for us and I want to get myself back for it."