Friday, May 20, 2011

Coleman scoops young player of the year award


Irish international Seamus Coleman scooped the Everton Young Player of the Season award at the BT convention centre in Liverpool last night

Having broken into the first team last season, the Donegal born Irishman has made massive progress since making his full Premier League debut at Fulham in September, making 39 appearances and scoring six goals.

The Killybegs winger received his award from Phil Jagielka and Leon Osman and declared: “I’m shocked. A couple of years ago I didn’t think I’d even be at Everton, let alone winning a young player of the year award.

Everyone’s been great with me since I came over, the fans and everyone in the first team squad. I’m delighted.”

Speaking after the award ceremony Toffee’s boss David Moyes said: "Seamus did tremendously well at Blackpool last season and he's given us something fresh and new this year. He's been great and, with what we've seen, we hope he'll be able to step up again."

Coleman is expected to be in the starting line-up when Everton conclude their Premiership campaign at home to Chelsea on Sunday