Friday, December 3, 2010

Lennon predicts bright future for Ireland's Richie Towell


Celtic manager Neil Lennon has predicted more first-team action for young Irish international Richie Towell after his impressive debut for the Bhoys last weekend.

Dublin born Towell came off the bench to make his first competitive appearance for Celtic in Saturday's 2-2 draw with Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Lennon hopes to see Towell in the side more often.

"I thought Richie did great against Inverness," Lennon said. "I thought he was one of the bright sparks of the day. He had an abundance of energy, was good at winning the ball back and passed well throughout.

"He was also involved in Paddy McCourt's goal, which was our second. He has no reason to be critical of himself because he did exactly what we asked him to do and he can feel proud of himself.

"I would like to think that he would be involved more and more as the season progresses. We have been pretty pleased with how he has done in the last year. His level of performance has been consistent.

"We have a few players out at the moment and that maybe helped him get his chance at the weekend but, regardless of that, I am sure he will feature more and more as the season progresses."

Speaking after his impressive debut Towell said: "It was brilliant hearing the crowd's reaction and being in the middle of it all. It's what I've always dreamed of.

"It's been frustrating sitting on the bench all season and that's why I was so delighted to come on.

"I just want to show that I can compete at this level and hopefully the gaffer will give me another chance because I don't like sitting on the bench - I want to play every week.

"I thought the fans reacted well to me and I was pleased with how I did when I came on. I kept the ball and then I won the tackle for Paddy's [McCourt] goal so they were all cheering for that."