Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Darron Gibson extends Manchester United contract until 2012


Derry born Darron Gibson has agreed a new three year deal with Premiership champions Manchester United.

The Ireland international midfielder, who was guest of honour at the recent Tesco Foyle Cup launch in Derry, will remain at Old Trafford until 2012 and admits he can't wait for the start of next season.

"I am very happy to commit my future to United," Gibson told ManUtd.com.

"Last season I enjoyed every opportunity and when I got my chance I wanted to prove what I could do. I hope to continue that this season."

The 21-year-old, who made 14 appearances for Alex Ferguson's men last season, also played a major role in their Carling Cup success over Spurs, at Wembley in February, ended the campaign on a memorable note when he fired home United's winner over Hull City on the final day of the Premiership season.

Gibson has also been an integral part of Giovanni Trapattoni's Ireland squad during the Word Cup qualifying campaign.

The Manchester United manager expects Gibson to play an even bigger part during the 2009/10 season.

"Darron was one of the young players who emerged last season as a United first-team player," Ferguson explained to United's official website.

"His appearance ratio did not really reflect the high regard in which we hold him, as he has constantly worked hard to challenge for a first team spot."

No comments:

Post a Comment