Friday, April 17, 2009

McCarthy focusing on Hamilton survival














Hamilton and Ireland starlet James McCarthy maintains he is ‘happy’ where he is, despite clubs circling around the young midfielder.

Rangers and Celtic have been widely reported to be interested in the 18-year-old, but he is in no hurry to leave the Lanarkshire club.

“I’m happy just now but I’ll need to just see what happens, I’m contracted to Hamilton and if a deal comes in to Hamilton and the chairman’s happy then we’ll sit down and speak,” McCarthy said.

“The Old Firm are massive clubs in Scotland and it would be great to go to either.

“But I’m happy where I am, playing week-in-week-out in The SPL at Hamilton Accies and you can’t get much better than that for a boy my age.”


McCarthy was speaking after being nominated for the Young Player of the Year award, but he maintains that SPL survival with Hamilton is more important than individual success.

He explained: “I’m delighted, it’s always great to be voted for by your fellow professionals, but there’s three other great professionals there - James McArthur, Andrew Driver and Steven Fletcher- but I’m delighted to be amongst the four em>

“My main aim is keeping Hamilton in The SPL first before taking this award and I’d be more pleased to stay in this division.”


He added: “We’ve gone throught a sticky patch just now when we’ve not been able to score, but we’ve got a big game coming up against Inverness and it’s one we’re all looking forward to.

“I’m sure we can stay up, we’ve got five games to go and hopefully we can pick up some points and score a few goals.”

No comments:

Post a Comment